Often, a woman facing an unintended pregnancy doesn’t feel equipped to be a mom. She may not believe she can achieve her dreams.
WE BELIEVE SHE CAN DO BOTH
By showing her the resources available to her, we broaden her vision and build her confidence. By partnering with several community organizations, AVA Care equips women with the resources and training they need to flourish personally and professionally. Women are encouraged to participate in more than one program. Men are also welcome to participate. Each woman who participates receives a layette with basic baby supplies and clothing, as well as diapers for the first year of their baby’s life. All items are generously donated by individuals from the local community.
- Must be a client of AVA Care
- Must participate in an AVA Care approved class/program
- With proof of enrollment in a program, a coupon for a layette is given to client. Layettes include diapers, wipes, baby clothes, baby blankets, bath towel, etc.
- With proof of ongoing participation in, or completion of a class, clients are eligible to receive two packs of diapers and one pack of wipes every month for the first year of their baby’s life.
- If a client’s partner also participates in a program, the benefit increases to three packs of diapers per month.
- Women who have participated in this program experience increased self-esteem, expanded social networks and support systems, stronger parenting skills, and the confidence to pursue employment.
- BabyCare – Harrisonburg Rockingham Health Department
- Citizenship – Skyline Literacy
- GED – Massanutten Technical Center (MTC), Skyline Literacy, & Elkton Area United Services (EAUS)
- English Language – MTC, Skyline Literacy, & Covenant Presbyterian Church
- Finance & Budgeting – Virginia Cooperative Extention Service (VCES)
- Nutrition – Eating Smart, Moving More Program (VCES)
- Parenting – Hand-in-Hand Resource Mothers Program*, Healthy Families of the Blue Ridge Program*, & PEAS Program*, Infant and Toddler Connection
- Substance Abuse – Life Recovery*, Behavioral Health Wellness & Prevention (Community Services Board)
- Smoking Cessation – Quit Now, Find Your Freedom Program*
- Workforce Training & Placement – Valley Workforce Service (Youth and Adult)
- THREE– a confidential abortion recovery program for individuals who have experienced an abortion in their past.
*Provided by Sentara RMH
Help women EXCEL by donating:
- Baby wipes
- Baby clothing size newborn through 3 months
- Diapers sizes newborn through 5
All EXCEL items are generously donated by individuals from the local community.
For more information contact Kara Durante, Director of Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.434.7528.